The zen of walking for health

I did at least get out and walk a couple of days recently. Usually I walk about a half an hour every day, but it has been postponed the past week or so due to the busyness of the holidays or the weather being either rainy or too cold.

On Christmas Day we went on a family hike in a nearby state forest. It was a sunny, mild day after a several days of heavy rain. We hiked about three miles over moderate terrain, and it was a wonderful, invigorating walk. Most days of course I don't take time out to travel to such a special place to take a walk.

Now that the holidays are over, it's time to get back to a more normal schedule of activity because the lack of daily walking since then has left me feeling sluggish.

What I do is fit walking in to my daily routine, by walking around my neighborhood.   My neighborhood is fairly walkable, and I can often fit in one or more walks to do an errand.  But walking needn't have a purpose.

 I can just as easily go for a walk, with no purpose other than going for a walk. Walking with no purpose is a way to take a break, and think.

 Research has shown that the benefits of walking and moderate physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day can help you:

  •     Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
  •     Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
  •     Improve blood lipid profile
  •     Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
  •     Enhance mental well being
  •     Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
  •     Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
  •     Reduce the risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes    
         -- American Heart Association

If you're stressed out or just out of shape, why not try walking?

If 30 minutes a day is a bit of a stretch, start with 10 or 15 minutes and gradually increase the length of your walks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are the best consumer review sites

Coconut oil is a plus

Sweet potatoes and weight loss